Senior Backend Engineer - Python
Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures. It’s driven by a desire to explore and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations. And we're good at what we do: Google and Apple have numerous times listed us as one of their Apps of the Year. And with more than 30 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews, we are well on our way to becoming the most popular app for finding, planning, and sharing adventures worldwide.
Join our remote-first team and begin your adventure with komoot.
About the role
As komoot’s next backend engineer, you’ll be joining a highly-motivated team of tech enthusiasts. We’re focused on impact, that’s why we love to find simple and smart solutions to complex problems, and embrace modern technologies to face tough challenges.
Together with data scientists and research engineers, you’ll work on komoot’s in-house technology and bring novel data solutions to production. Join us if you live and love infrastructure as code, automating workflows, clean and tested code, distributed and resilient services, and crunching data in the cloud.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you’ll do
- Advise and support data scientists and research engineers to integrate their data solutions to the production environment.
- Develop end-to-end solutions including concept, road maps, implementation, testing, deployment, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Find solutions to efficiently store and query large data sets.
- Use job queues and distributed computing to process data workloads efficiently and reliably using AWS.
- Create high-traffic REST APIs to make data solutions accessible to other services.
- Ensure the reliability and availability of the systems through robust testing, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Develop the data architecture and establish best practices for consistency and efficiency.
Why you’ll love it
- In a small team, you’ll be in close contact with data scientists and be part of creating innovative data solutions.
- You’ll work with vast and diverse data sets, including user-generated content, geospatial data, OpenStreetmap and user interaction data from our apps.
- You’ll work on a global product that inspires millions of users to enjoy the great outdoors.
- We’re a tech company with little organizational overhead, focusing on ownership and responsibility instead of micromanagement and hierarchies.
- We take a lot of time and care when choosing our team – it’s the best thing we have. We work and achieve results together to help our audience to explore more of the great outdoors.
- This is a remote role, we are a remote-first team and you are free to work from anywhere that lies in the UTC-1 and UTC+3 time zones.
- We have flexible working hours with core time for communication between 10 am – 3 pm (UTC+2). You can organize your workday in the way that best suits you, your family, and your needs.
- 38 days of paid time off (public holidays included) + 3 additional personal growth days.
- Personal Growth budget and time – 3 days off work + EUR 2000 to dedicate to your personal growth: classes, conferences, books – your choice!
- Three whole-company on-site gatherings each year in beautiful locations. You can check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6sbHrhRcoU...
- Costs covered for your co-working space membership or your work from home office setup and the latest devices and equipment to do your best work.
- You can check out these videos to find out more about how we stay close while being remote. [Get to know the Komoot Team]
You’ll be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible, and keen to learn and improve
- Are a strong team player and a strong communicator
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with Python
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in developing distributed and resilient backend services
- Have knowledge of big data technologies and building HTTP endpoints
- Have been responsible for configuring and running applications in production on AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure or Kubernetes
- Have experience with Infrastructure as Code, continuous integration and deployment, and monitoring
- Bonus: Have experience with a statically-typed language such as Kotlin
Curious to find out more?
- More about our team and our values here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs
- More about how we work here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process#how-we-work
- More about our recruitment process and FAQs here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process
- We support diversity and inclusivity and welcome all prospective applicants.
- Not sure if you meet all requirements above? Don't sweat it – if you think you're the right person anyway, we'd love to hear from you.
- We have a rolling recruitment process. If this role is online, it means it’s still open. We’re accepting applications and actively looking for the right candidate. Is it you?
Change the Way People Explore
Everybody at komoot is working towards this vision and we design our company to put as little as possible between you and bringing this vision to life.
Create With Purpose
Today, millions of people explore nature with our apps. Their experiences are what drives us and makes us smile everyday.
Work Wherever You Thrive
Our headquarter is located in Potsdam at a lake, but our team works all over Europe. Bavarian mountains? Canary Islands? A little house at a lake? Booming Berlin?
Work With People You Actually Want To Work WithWorking At Komoot